This is one of many scenarios that you may come across in your WinXP to Win7 migration project/POC. You turn on migration using VMware Mirage and the migration fails in the middle due to source machine WinXP is low in free system disk space. What do you? Extend C drive (if disk type is simple and not dynamic) using one of the free tools available in the market.
EASEUS Partition Master (Home Edition)
Paragon Partition Manager Express Workaround/Resolution Personally I’ve used partition manager tool from EASEUS. It is simple. Follow the below steps to extend C/system drive in your WinXP: 1) Back up your windows XP machine using the tool or using windows native NETBACKUP utility.
2) Add a new disk to your windows XP machine and/or shrink alternate data drive and extend C/system drive following the steps mentioned here – http://www.partition-tool.com/easeus-partition-manager/help/resizing-and-moving-partition.htm
3) Download/install EASEUS partition manager tool in your windows XP machine.
4) Open the tool, highlight C/system drive
5) Drag the tool bar till the end to cover the entire unallocated disk space (from the newly added disk drive)
6) Click OK and Apply changes.
NOTE: Ensure ‘Shutdown the computer after changes applied’ is checked.
7) Power on the XP machine and you can see the C/system drive extended!
P.S. : For dynamic disk, you need to purchase the EASEUS parition manager Professional version.